Sunday 6 December 2020

The guy with his own Zoo [Kavumba Recreation Park]

So, I recently learnt that there’s a zoo in Wakiso. I didn’t know it was possible for an individual to own animals other than dogs, cats, and farm animals. I thought wild animals belonged to the government or some kind of institution. Apparently, I was wrong. This guy owns a real zoo, with ostriches, various types of monkeys, skunks, snakes, zebras antelopes, horses, several wild birds and a whole host of creatures. He even had cute little guinea pigs and rabbits [which, I was told, are food for the snakes!].

              

If you’re not interested in the animals, there are loads of options of things to do at Kavumba Recreation Park. The swimming pool was overwhelmingly full when we went [it was a Sunday, after all] so we didn’t bother going that way. Ayiko does not like crowds, in general, and I don’t like crowds in pools.


Besides the pool, there’s a forest for adventurous souls to camp in, a night club [for when curfew is lifted J] and a spa situation; with a massage and sauna. They’ve even got accommodation onsite, so that you can make the time to enjoy each activity in peace – because one shouldn’t set deadlines of how long one can enjoy peace and quiet. There’s a conference hall attached to the hotel. So, you can convince the boss to use it for the next work event or team building activity.

Meanwhile, my people relished sampling the offerings from the restaurant. The fried fish was sublime! I think fried fish may become my new staple park/green space food. It always tastes great. Even Aleru joined in, though she eventually gravitated to a drum stick. We were glad.

This guy, whoever he is, seems to be a supporter of not just wild life, but of sports too. There’s a fully functional football pitch, complete with changing rooms and bleachers. On the day we were there, we found a serious game going on.

Ayiko and his Papi, since we don’t like crowds, were able to get their own game going on the side. There’s so much space that we found another group playing cricket in another section of the park.

And then, of course, there’s the children’s park, with motorized cars, donkeys for hire and the usual slides, swings, rocking horses, see-saws and merry-go-rounds.

Then, finally, there was ice cream. Needless to say, Ayiko and mi Leritu slept all the way to Monday morning.

When I grow up, I want a zoo of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kiwatule Recreation Centre

  This is an oldie and a goodie. Until recently, the only time I had been to Kiwatule Recreation Centre was in 2003. At the time, I was conv...